My thoughts on Caitlyn Jenner

03:32

Hey everyone,

Recently in the news there have been lots of talk about one family, one person in particular. Unless you're living under a rock (or blind because the name is in the title of this post) you know about Caitlyn Jenner. I mean the Mail Online (I know don't judge- it is a guilty pleasure)  are running at least 5 stories about her daily.

Caitlyn Jenner formerly known as Bruce Jenner Olympic athlete has officially transitioned. The final result was documented on the cover of Vanity Fair and was shot by none other than Annie Leibovitz. Now when I initially heard that Caitlyn's transition was going to be on a cover of a magazine it shocked me a little. Rather than feeling like person working through their own journey; placing it on a magazine cover felt like it had an undercurrent of commercial purpose. Excuse the cynic in me but the magazine cover plus the docu-series that will premiere on E! sometime in the future made me feel like we were paying to see a spectacle rather than serious and sensitive issue that many people struggle with on a daily basis.

 But that all vanished when I saw the cover. I am not a regular watcher of 'Keeping up with Kardashians' but when I do it didn't take a genius to see how unhappy Bruce was all the time and when I saw the cover I saw genuine happiness in her eyes. That made any thoughts of money go away. She just wanted to be able to be comfortable with herself all the time and who is anyone to hate on that.

source

But what I find even more overwhelming is the positive support from everyone- I know that if Caitlyn was a regular person she may have been faced with a lot more prejudice and discrimination. But all twitter/blogs/instagram are so supportive and that has just alerted me to how far society is come. Obviously transphobia is still rife but if this had happened in the 70s/80s I doubt people would've been as supportive. Trust me I've seen it, somebody I knew decided to transition and on the whole everybody was really supportive. But you always have the low-lifes who referred to her as 'it' or deliberately used the wrong pronoun. Seeing these tweets of support and encouragement just make me feel happy so I can't imagine the overwhelming positive iimpact it has had on Caitlyn.

But for me I don't understand why it is so difficult to see Jenner the way that she wants to be seen. It's not going hurt anyone if Caitlyn suddenly wants to be known as her and personally I think that her cover gives people a greater insight into the transgender community. Obviously I am no expert in this area and if you want to do further research I am sure that there are many websites and books. But I think that watching Caitlyn Jenner's journey unfold can give us a little insight into what this journey feels like.

If you want to read the full interview you can buy Vanity Fair or here is a link to a portion of the article

Much love
Michele
x

Watching; Empire
Listening; You Know You Like It- Alunageorge and DJ Snake
Reading: Game of Thrones


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts